Vegetation Disposal

What can I do with all these weeds, leaves and dead tree branches?

What can you do to disposal of your “vegetative material” properly? The City of Las Cruces and Doña County accept yard waste at their facility as a green recycling program. What does this mean? Your “vegetative material” is cut up, put in a treated compost pile and eventually made into mulch for later use. What a great program! (As a last resort, toss “vegetative material” in the trash.)

For all of you who burn your “vegetative material,” here are some guidelines you should be sure to follow:

  • On NMSU Campus, there is a “No Open Burning policy” under our Fire Prevention Guidelines; see those guidelines for specific information.
  • The City of Las Cruces requires permits within the Las Cruces City limits. Their current policy can be found here.
  • Doña County also has strong restrictions on open fire burning. Their current policy is located here.
  • State of New Mexico produces a brochure about the dangers of backyard burning.

It is good to know these rules so you can be safe and be informed. If you find someone not in compliance, and it is not a threat to life or property, call your local non-emergency Police Department. In an emergency, always call 9-1-1. Their risky behavior might not only affect them if something gets out of hand.

Be safe!

Back to Fire Department Home Page

Back to Fire Prevention and Safety


Translate »